All Saints is one of the earliest churches in Auckland. Established in 1847, it has been a focal point in a community which has seen many changes through the years. The old All Saints (Selwyn) church was prefabricated at St John’s College, Meadowbank, and hauled by bullock wagon from Howick Beach. It is the icon of historic Howick, and continues to be lovingly maintained and frequently used for worship, weddings and funerals.
With the rapid growth of Howick in the 1960s, the old church proved inadequate for the congregation. And so the ‘new’ All Saints was opened in 1970, with seating for about 400. In 2000, the new church was further extended to provide more flexible spaces for an increasingly diverse range of ministry activities and in June 2004 the old ‘Cook Street Hall’ was reopened as the substantially rebuilt All Saints’ Community Centre.
The multi-faceted life of All Saints is organised through Mission Teams, which take responsibility for a cluster of activities. Representatives from each Team make up the Parish Council along with ordained Staff members, the two Church Wardens and two Synod Representatives.
Parish Council meets monthly to encourage and co-ordinate the work of the Mission Teams, and to discuss other administrative, pastoral and spiritual concerns.